Gardening is an healthy and unexpensive way for children to learn and have fun at home with their French speaking nanny. Here some suggestions to get children involved and interested in creating a garden:
- Keep it simple.
- Give children their own garden space. (This does not have to be big. You can start with a large container or a few pots.)
- Involve older children in the planning and design of the garden.
- Use lightweight, easy-to-handle, correct-sized tools and garden equipment.
- Encourage children to dig in the dirt. (Younger children love making mud pies)
- Grow interesting plants such as sunflowers, corn,
- pumpkins, tomatoes and strawberries.
- Use a trellis or teepee to grow beans or sweet peas.
- Plant flowers that attract butterflies, ladybirds and other interesting insects or birds.
- Make a scarecrow.
- Install a water fea
ture, a birdbath or a sundial.
- Set up a worm farm.
- Visit community gardens, children’s farms or botanic gardens for ideas.